Saturday, July 3, 2010

Poked in the Mind's Eye


I have had such an awesome time here in Spain. I have always like being submersed in another culture and absorbing the life around me. Here I love the view I see everyday, I just step out onto the little balcony we have attached to our room and I can see the Mediterranean. The people who are helping us learn Spanish this summer are friendly and don't seem to mind my very choppy Spanish. I love eating gelato, finishing my gelato and wanting more...(Im a little piggish with ice cream). I even love the heat we have been getting because its proof that we are not cold.
The night before I flew over to Spain I remember my mom and I having a conversation, after several minutes of talking she turned to me and said something that shocked me a little. She said,"Laura, Be careful when you go to the beach, you're going to get an eye full." Now instantly I thought, no way the beaches will be like they are here. I've always heard horror stories of European beaches and the topless women that walk around but I just didn't want to believe it.
The first day we went to the beach was nothing out of the ordinary, people were dressed and there were no signs of the fabled European beaches. But let me tell you, I have seen more topless women then I ever wanted to see in my life. My eyes hurt every time I go to the beach, I can't look around without getting poked in my minds eye...and my real eyes. Not only is the specialty here topless women, men have started this trend of wearing speedos....ewww. Its like there are surprises everywhere you go on the beaches here. I'm pretty sure each individual thinks to themselves before they go to the beach, "what can I wear to the beach today that will scar the foreigners?" Well let me tell you they figured out a fool proof method to repeatedly poke me in the eyes. Now more then ever I really appreciate beaches at home where people have to wear at least some type of body covering.
I'm all about appreciating and taking back a piece of different cultures and I think there are many things I will bring back with me from spain...just not the beach attire:)

No comments: